Friday, October 22, 2010

Different Tofu uses and Recipes?

I at one point followed a vegan lifestyle. Then a couple of years ago, I had lost a baby so then I decided to eat my feelings away with meat. I was sick for a week after I had started eating meat, then my body got use to it. Now, I have medical problems and I decided it's time to get over what happend to me and go back being a vegan. I have never cooked tofu before. So I tried to cook it and it was AWWFUL!!! My questions are what recipes can you use with the different consistencies of tofu?? And how do you cook each consistency. What seasonings should I use? I think I cooked the firm one and ';EEEWWWW' never again!!



By the way, I don't want to hear any remarks about how I ate meat for 2 1/2 years, just stick to the question.Different Tofu uses and Recipes?
I personall prefer soft or silk tofu. I can scramble it like eggs and spice it up with curry, veggies, and cooked potatoes for a wrap. I use it in cooked manicotti noodles with garlic and basil stirred in, then I put spaghetti sauce over top and bake ( sometimes with tofu chese grated over top), I use it in lasagna the same way. I scramble it with red peppers or green onions and tofu cheese for breakfast. It can make a good spread for a sandwich with small diced bits of apple and veggienaise with dill pickles..replacement for tuna, also you can make it into patties with spiced breadcrumbs, onion or green onions, and herbs(rosemary)...hope that helps...(I experiment with it a lot).Different Tofu uses and Recipes?
I leave out the soy sauce as I do not care for it. Other than that this recipe is delish!



Citrus Barbeque Tofu

Serves 2 to 3







1 14-ounce package of extra-firm tofu, cut into 8 or 9 slices

juice of 2 lemons

1/4 cup orange juice

2 tablespoons maple syrup

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 1/2 teaspoon rosemary

2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed

1 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce

dash of black pepper

Whisk all the ingredients but the tofu in a bowl to make the marinade.



Put the tofu slices in a flat dish and pour over the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.



Turn the grill on medium heat and brush lightly with some olive oil. Grill the tofu slices, brushing with extra marinade while cooking, about 5 minutes for each side.
I like to cut some firm tofu into cubes, coat in bread crumbs (seasoned) and then bake in the oven. It's kinda like chicken nuggets, only no chicken. I also like to bread it and pan fry it and serve it over rice. The great thing about tofu is it takes on the flavor of what you season it with.
I try to buy tofu made with nigari since it has the best flavor.



The secret for good tofu is in the marinade. If you like garlic uses lots of garlic and let it sit at least 1/2 hour before cooking it. Try marinating in teriyaki sauce or szechuan if you like hot. Another pleaser is Hoisin sauce because it's sweet but not too sweet.



Remember to rinse tofu well when you buy it and change the water every day until you use it. If you have it more than a week you may want to boil it for 5 minutes to restore freshness. I always avoid silken tofu because I dislike the texture but some like it.



Drain well before use (before marinade/seasoning) to avoid runny recipe.



For meat substitute in lasagna try firm firm tofu and cut into tiny cubes. Season in advance and follow favorite lasagna recipe.



For most meat-like texture rinse, cube, and freeze tofu. To use just toss into pan with rest of ingredients, no need to thaw.



I usually use firm or medium for everything! Soft consistency is good for dessert and xfirm for most meat-like.
What I normally do is get the firm tofu then cut down the middle,so it's thinner. Then press a towell on the blocks of tofu to get some of the moisture out. Ok, so then I marinate in in this thing called Braggs Amino Acids(It looks kinda like soy sauce, it has a yellow label, %26amp; you can get it at pretty much any health food store) then just cut the tofu into bite size peices %26amp; cook them in the oven at about 350 degrees F, until their light brown. I'm really bad at directions, but I hope you can undersand that..

No comments:

Post a Comment