Thursday, October 28, 2010

I would like to make a really great chili using tofu! Any suggestions on how to ';brown'; the tofu?

I've never cooked with tofu before but I would like to try this healthy alternative to the ground-chicken I usually use and see how it goes over :-)



I have the rest of the recipe down pat.I would like to make a really great chili using tofu! Any suggestions on how to ';brown'; the tofu?
You'll want to buy firm tofu, it comes in many different types of firmness. The soft kind will break apart when you try to do much with it. Cut the firm tofu into small chunks and just brown it in oil, perhaps with some onions. I'm not sure, however, that tofu would be your best choice.



Instead of tofu, you may want to try a product called Smart Ground. It's ';textured vegetable protein'; and it really tastes great. It's crumbly like ground beef is when it's cooked, and no one here can tell the difference when I use it in lasagna and chili. It's very healthy too, a great alternative to beef. It's usually 2.50 a pound, and available in most grocery stores.I would like to make a really great chili using tofu! Any suggestions on how to ';brown'; the tofu?
Instead of Tofu use Textured Soy Protein.



WOrks well.
Use margarine and a little olive oil. The oil stops the marg from burning.
I use the crumbles that look like ground meat. It makes great chili!

I think they are made by Morning Star Farms.
I just chop the tofu and let it stay white - tastes fine. You could marinate it in tamari for several hours after breaking it up, and that would add color wthout much flavor (drain well before adding to chili.) Like everyone else, I use Bocca or Morningstar burger crumbles if I want to serve chili to meat eaters - they never know it's not meat!
I have heard if you freeze tofu then use it in recipes it will have a firmer texture. I haven't tried it yet but have had meals in restaurants where they have done this and it was really different, not crumbly and soft like tofu usually is.
read this good eats transcript:

http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/Season3/T鈥?/a>



it details ';squeezing'; out the water of extra firm tofu, then marinating it and frying it.



or you could just cube it and toss it in, which is what I do and it works fine. (but not as pretty as it looks like white block)
Why do so many vegitarians want things to look like meat? It doesn't make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment