Thursday, October 28, 2010

I just bought some firm tofu and don't really know what to do with it. Help?

I was thinking of adding some of it to tomato sauce and veggies like making a soup out of all of it. Does that sound like a good idea? I've never eaten tofu before and I'm kind of limited on ingredients. Also, how would I have to cook the tofu before I put it in the soup? I need directions on how to cook it, how long, what method, etc.I just bought some firm tofu and don't really know what to do with it. Help?
Yeah, stir fry is definitely the way to go for someone who has never had tofu before. They sell a lot of different sauces that work perfectly for stir frying at any grocery store... or you could just go with soy sauce. Throw some veggies in and serve over rice. I definitely recommend that you eat tofu fried some kind of way for the very first time or you might not like it.I just bought some firm tofu and don't really know what to do with it. Help?
slice the block into thin slices and then fry it in a pan of oil till they are crispy-ish and then eat them like rectangle shaped frenchfries with some sweet %26amp; sour sauce.

i hated tofu till i discovered this and now i eat tofu this way many times a week.
Firm tofu is okay. I like to put it on a skillet with some vegetables and just heat it up with some veg oil. I will add seasonings and sauces to it. Soy sauce or sweet and sour are good. Or combine em. I prefer tempeh, though to other kinds of tofu.
I really like tofu scramble.

Saute vegetables of your choosing. Crumble the tofu and add some nutritional yeast and spices (I mix and match from garlic, turmeric, paprika, cumin, coriander, masala, curry) Stir together and add to the vegetables. Add a splash of soy sauce. Cook for a few minutes more. Enjoy!
I have a great recipe for tofu cutlets. You want to press the tofu to get the moisture out first. Then you take three bowls, one with plain flour, one with soy milk, and a third with a mixture of equal parts flour, cornmeal, and nutritional yeast, along with some herbs and spices, whatever you want. Dredge the tofu in bowls 1, 2, and 3, and then fry up. You can make a meatless gravy if you want, or just eat it plain with some sides.



By the way, I freeze my tofu for a better texture. Tips are in my profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment