Thursday, October 28, 2010

What are some good ways to cook with tempeh?

My mom recently brought some groceries to my appartment, including a package of tempeh.



I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years, and I've mastered the cooking of tofu, and although I love tempeh, I have yet to learn how to cook it.



Does anyone have some suggestions? I have limited resources at my apartment, but these are some of the spices, etc that I do have:



curry powder

garlic power

minced garlic

roasted red pepper

salt/pepper

lemon juice



Other than that, I have pasta/sauce, potatoes, tortillas, hummus, pita, red/green peppers, and other fairly basic foods.



Any help w/ how to prepare the tempeh, and how to serve it, would be awesome.What are some good ways to cook with tempeh?
I am a former chef and now a lacto-ovo vegetarian, and I use it like pressed tofu, the BLT idea is a good one, I make stir fry's, stewed dishes, Asian soups, chopped fine and sauteed with onions and made into a veggie sloppy joe, or chili.



With any kind of pressed protein, like tofu or seitan even quorn, it is pretty well open to anything, if your a life long veggie, then meat was never in your diet, but as a former meat eater I look at these products now as a meat replacement and how to work them into my older recipes.What are some good ways to cook with tempeh?
Make a Tempeh BLT.....
My husband uses it for fried rice. Make up some rice ahead of time and put it in the refridgerator. After it has cooled, heat up a pan and add some oil. Sautee veggies in the oil. We use onions and garlic and whatever else we have laying around. After the veggies are almost cooked through, crumble up the tempeh and add it to the veggies. Cook that for a few minutes, then add the rice to the mix. Something about the texture of the tempeh makes it perfect for this dish!
I always steam my tempeh. I have a rice cooker, and I throw the tempeh in the steamer part for up to 20 minutes. After that, you might fry it, or not. I usually don't. I read that steaming it, or braising it will remove some of the bitterness.



My favorite thing is to make it buffalo wing style with hot sauce. I also love putting BBQ sauce on it. Or you could crumble it up and use it as you would ground beef. You could also throw it in a stir fry.



It is really good for you, and I could use some new ways of cooking it, too. Great question!
good

No comments:

Post a Comment