Friday, October 22, 2010

How do you prepare tofu?

I am reading books on the blood type diet. I am not only trying to lose weight but the main purpose for me to diet is too heal my stomach and other medical illnesses. Everything I read about eating for my blood type says that people with my blood type should be vegetarians. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me how to cook Tofu?How do you prepare tofu?
that diet is stupid

and there is no scientific proof behind itHow do you prepare tofu?
Tofu has no flavor so what ever you add it to will also absorb that flavor.

You can cook it on a pan or add it to a veggie dish that you are eating!

You can also put it in the blender and use if in a smoothie,with soy

milk and fruit and ice if you like!



Another thing that would be good for your stomach is to drink aloe

vera juice it's very good for stomach conditions!You can add it to

a smoothis or drink it plan but the taste is rather yuckie!You can put

it in juice too!
Honestly, I would cook your tofu in a stir fry... add alot of veggies :)

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1850,155鈥?/a>



I hope this helps! Good luck with everything!
You could eat it straight from the package, although that is not recommended considering it is terribly bland. So if you want to make a nice meal, take some tofu and press it under a large saucepan/wok to let it kind of dry out, and then marinade it in sauce for like 15 minutes. Most stores sell tons of interesting marinades or you could look up one yourself that you particularly favor. Stirfries are the most common but you could get sick of them so I recommend blending silken tofu into smoothies, puddings, baked goods, etc. You could even purchase those nice fake meats made with tofu. The possibilities are endless.
You can stir fry them. Try this, Vietnamese Stir-Fried Tofu and Roasted Peanuts. http://www.werecipes.com/Vietnamese-Stir鈥?/a>
try this recipe of Spinach cooked with Paneer.( Cottage Cheese)



use tofu instead of paneer. They look same.



Here is the recipe:



http://www.jaypuri.com/2009/04/palak-pan鈥?/a>
Well, you can buy some extra-firm kind and use it instead of meat in stir frys. It's a flavour sponge, so it'll soak up whatever you do to it with no real flavour of its own. Or you could buy soft/ silken tofu and use it instead of yogurt in smoothies.
I've been making BBQ tofu a lot lately, just heat some oil and brown the cut up tofu and then smother in bbq sauce. I usually make it with some onions and mushrooms too!



For breakfast I also make 'egg mcvegans' really easy! Just put 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup olive oil in a pan with sliced tofu and salt and pepper them. Put it in the oven for about 20-30 minutes flipping them once. Then serve it on a english muffin with soy sausage and soy cheese. It's a huge hit, my boyfriend begs me to make them and he's not even veg!





I would suggest freezing your tofu before you prepare it, it absorbs the flavor a lot better and it also has a better texture. The best way to do this is:



1. Drain+ remove tofu from package (I usually cut mine in half the long way)

2. Place a couple paper towels on a large plate (I usually fold them over to add extra layers) then place tofu on top. And then put a couple more paper towels over that for extra absorption

3. Place another plate on top of that and put something heavy on top of it like your knife block or a heavy pan

4. Let it sit there for 15 minute to an hour so you can get as much excess water out

5. Put the pieces in a large freezer bag, one in each corner and then fold them on top of each other so the bag is in between, that way you only have to defrost one half at a time!



There are tons of recipes for tofu, it's just a matter of experimenting with it. It took me a good month to really get used to it but I eat it about 4 times a week now, i love it.
I start by cutting it in 3 pieces long ways to press it. I use reusable napkins (the kind you get at a restaurant), with one underneath and one over the tofu, then set a skillet over it. I have to replace the napkin 2 or 3 times. Then I cut into about 1 inc cubes and soak in soy sauce and honey. I toss with oil in a wok then when it is almost done, I throw in some fresh spinach for a couple minutes. I then mix in some cooked brown rice. It is super filling, healthy, and tasty. Most people I know who like tofu didn't like it their first few times eating it, so be prepared to try it a few ways before making up your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment