Thursday, October 28, 2010

I want to transition to a vegan lifestyle...?

I'm 16, and I've successfully been a strict vegetarian (no slaughter by-products) for more than 5 years now. I am the only one in my mother's, father's, and stepfather's families. My mother is relatively supportive, but I live with my father, who doesn't get it at all, and couldn't care any less. He's been willing to let me live here and buy different foods (and might I add HEALTHIER foods; I cook a lot, and before I moved in all he was eating was prepackaged bullsh*t), but I told him today that I wanted to make the transition to veganism...



He became very angry with me. He says that I'm already making his life so much harder, and this would just be impossible. He doesn't realize how many people DO live this way, and DON'T die of starvation. Cost is a big factor as well, although the most expensive ';strange'; food we buy right now is probably soymilk.



I need help, though. Inexpensive vegan brands and locations? I particularly need help with finding:

-Bread

-Soy Cheese

-vegan butter/margarine

-ways to cook tofu

-and a variety of vegan snacks.



Also, what seasonings are best with tofu?

Any help would be much appreciated ^-^ He's very upset with me...



(oh, and the only stores we really have around here are wal-mart, supertarget, and cub... There is a co-op nearby, but he pretty much refuses to go there...)I want to transition to a vegan lifestyle...?
Trader Joes and Whole Foods have a lot of vegan products. You can find some products at Safeway and Raleys...Bread is usually the hardest to find in my opinion, but Target's Archer Farms brand has a vegan multi grain bread that is vegan and great! Earth Balance is a great butter alternative. Fried tofu is delicious! I love it! Snacks...aside from the basic fruits and vegetables what we munch on is REAL kettle corn, roasted plantains, chocolate soy milk, yum!



I have a lot of respect for you on try to become vegan. It's not easy though. The tuffest part in opinion is dealing with everyones rude comments and opinions. Just stick to what you know is right and maybe try finding a vegan meet up group in your area for support :] Here is a good link. Good luck!



http://govegbegreen.org/I want to transition to a vegan lifestyle...?
Their really isn't much change in cost. You don't need to buy foods int he health food section. There are alot of options that are easily affordable.

Bread - I eat Friehoffers wheat, but their white is vegan as well. just double check.

Most margarine's are vegan (I didn't realize this) Earth Balance is good. but read labels so that it doesn't contain milk or lard-type ingredients)

Put tofu in a pan w/ vegetables and make a stir fry. but if you don't like tofu, that's not the only thing you can eat.

boca makes vegan burgers, and morningstar has some vegan selections like their veggie crumbles.

vegan snacks.. fruit obviously is the best! But oreos (WHICH I DIDN'T KNOW) are vegan! I loved that.



idk about it with tofu but they sell vegetable bouillon cubes, which i put in pretty much everything.

..are there no only-food stores??? That's strange but anyplace should have these things. :)
Get a few vegan cookbooks. I have Vegan with a Vengeance and it's really good. Don't just live off of tofu and vegetables. Vegan with a Vengeance has lots of recipes that are ';normal'; food that has been vegan-ified so your dad will be less reluctant to try them.



Oh and congrats on becoming vegan (: ily
We use Smart Balance Light - no dairy - stays spreadable at fridge temps



Soy Cheese- Vegan Slices (By Galaxy Foods) and

VeganRella -actually melts-but make sure to let it cool as it gets nuclear very fast



Hope that helps a little.



Check out WholeFoods.com

They have their own brand ';365'; for Soymilk, etc


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetariani…





http://webveg.com





http://vegetarian.about.com/



this will help you a lot.



kiss,

maggi

No comments:

Post a Comment