Friday, October 22, 2010

I am seriously contemplating vegetarianism, and I am sampling different foods, how do I cook tofu?

I hear there's lots of things you can do with Tofu but where do I start? I hear it's bland but absorbs lots of flavors.. so what should I do with tofu? I bought some, now what? Lol.. I bought extra firm tofu because I was worried the softer ones might be of a jelly consistancy which I'm not a big fan of.

Any suggestions?

How long do you cook it for? and what are your favorite ways of cooking it?

I tried veggi burgers and I loved them, the vegi hot dog, a little different but I ate it anyway, something I could get used to I think.

How about anything else? what's your favorite vegetarian meal?

Thanks everyone!I am seriously contemplating vegetarianism, and I am sampling different foods, how do I cook tofu?
Congrats on picking a healthier diet!

When I started I happened to find this site (referenced)



I found literally hundreds of really good recipes, ideas, and support.



I found they would answer questions and make suggestions for everything I was concerned about.



When I had questions about diabetes (I'm diabetic) I found that Dr. McDougall, who wrote several excellent books, replied to my email within one day with good, insightful, and educated advice.



More than you asked for but I wanted to let you know they are there.

I tried tofu several ways and didn't really care for it.



The best I think was bbq firm tofu on a hibachi grill.

It can be baked, stir fried, or grilled. You were right to start with

firm tofu. Then store it overnight with a weight on to to squeeze

out as much moisture as possible.



Check it out...I am seriously contemplating vegetarianism, and I am sampling different foods, how do I cook tofu?
The best thing about tofu is that it takes on all of the flavour of the other ingredients you are cooking with. Any recipe you use meat in, you can use tofu in.



Remember that there are several consistencies of tofu, silken tofu is great for smoothies and desserts, the firm tofu is the best for use in main dishes such as chili, stews and stir fries.



You can find some superior tofu recipes at the following website:



www.tofu.bc.ca
It's your choice. But an advise: don't be a vegan nut. Keep using eggs and milk, at least in coffee. And me? I will never stop eating chicken stew with rice and salad. Yummy!

P.D.: Of course maybe you are allergic to milk and eggs, that is understandible. And I am proud of the demerits I get for expressing my opinions.
Tofu is already cooked to begin with. Any cooking time is only geared at improving its texture, incorporating flavors or cooking other ingredients in the recipe.
Grill tofu, I love that, I can toss in grilled tofu in anything.

With your new bought tofu, grill it like you would the meat.

Go online and find other recipes.

Put the grilled tofu in stir fries, grilled veggies, you can even it with plum souce, or chilli glaze



I love:



eggplant sandwiches

grilled pizza

veggie chilie

chick peas sage,

indian food is very veggie friendly

stir fries

sun dried tomatoe penne.



okay,,,, i'll stop now, i am hungry, good luck,

bye
You don't need to eat replacements to be vegetarian. As an omnivore you're already eating everything we eat, you just eat animal products on top of it. The meat/dairy replacements are luxuries, not necessities on a vegetarian diet.



It is good you're willing to try new things though. Especially if you're used to living on chicken fingers and mcdonalds.



Tofu: Tofu is already cooked. You just need to prepare it however you want it. Some people press it, some freeze it then press it, then cut it, season it, and bake it. Some cut it into chunks and add it into stir fry, some cut it up and deep fry it. Some mash up the firm/extra firm tofu, season it with mayo/vegenaise, mustard, and other spices and turn it into a wannabe egg salad.... it's very versatile.



http://www.fatfreevegan.com

http://www.vegcooking.com

http://www.vegetarianlunchbox.com

http://www.veganlunchbox.com

http://www.theppk.com

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyvegan
Since you happen to have extra firm on hand, you could try scrambled tofu: http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/鈥?/a>



In order to make sure it's not mushy, you want to press as much moisture out of it as you can. Put the block of tofu between layers of paper towel or clean dish towels, pile some hardcover books and maybe a can or two on top and let the fluid press out for about an hour. Then try the recipe.



You can also freeze then thaw tofu for a chewier texture.



Tofu is super versatile. Depending on the kind you can use it in everything from main dishes to desserts. Just google tofu recipes and try what sounds good.
I'm vegetarian and I %26lt;3 tofu. For the tofu I get you can just cut it up into cubes, put sliced scallions on top and drizzle it with soy sauce. Yummy! Another thing to do is fry your tofu and then pour soy sauce on it. Sorry, I don't know how to do it but, my dad makes it for me and its really good!

No comments:

Post a Comment