Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do I fry tofu without getting lots of smoke in my kitchen?

I love frying up tofu with a little cooking oil, lemon juice, and hot sauce, but the problem is my kitchen gets ridiculously smokey for hours whenever I cook it. Any suggestions on how to avoid the smoke?How do I fry tofu without getting lots of smoke in my kitchen?
I pan fry tofu, more like a saute, on medium high heat with a couple tablespoons of canola oil in a non-stick pan. I've never had a problem with it smoking.



I'm not sure if you already cook like this, but I wait until the last minute to add any additional flavors, usually garlic and soy sauce. Maybe it's the lemon juice and hot sauce burning and smoking? Try waiting until the last 30 seconds or so to add your additions, maybe that will help.How do I fry tofu without getting lots of smoke in my kitchen?
Turn down the heat or use a different oil with a higher smoking point. Oil shouldn't make the room smokey when you cook with it. It's not healthy for you, and for some oils, it means it's close to the point where it will flash into a fire.
Are you draining the tofu well? If it has a lot of moisture (water) and you mix it with the hot oil, you will get smoke. Also, add the hot sauce at the end of cooking.
try turning down the heat a bit. You may be cooking it too fast. put it on on about a medium heat and turn it up as you cook. That happens to me all the time.
dont fry with the juice and hot sauce. The hot sauce has sugar that burns and smokes. Make a dip instead
It's best to use peanut oil when frying tofu, it doesn't smoke up the kitchen like most veggie oils do.

No comments:

Post a Comment