Friday, October 22, 2010

How can I make tofu taste better?

I want to go back to being a vegetarian but there isn't a lot of selection where I live. I think I want to try to cook tofu again, but I have a hard time with its bland taste. Is there anyway I can liven it up? Soaking it in some kind of juice? Is there a beginners tofu cookbook or something? HELP!How can I make tofu taste better?
Tofu on its own is quite bland, but prepared correctly it can be delicious.



See Tofu for dummies for an explanation of the basics- http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/i鈥?/a>



Use firm or extra-firm tofu for stirfries, scrambled tofu, etc. First press out the water (cut into pieces, place large cans of beans, tomatoes, etc. or other heavy objects in a big pot and then place on top tofu wrapped in paper towel). Once the tofu has been pressed, marinade it in your favorite sauce, store bought or homemade. I like teriyaki, sweet and sour, etc. Then stirfry it up.



Try this recipe for ';breast of tofu'; http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/i鈥?/a> You can use it as a chicken substitute, and it can be breaded.



Silken tofu is usually used for smooth pie fillings, sauces, etc. A good recipe is Alton Brown's Mooless Chocolate Pie- http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton鈥?/a> I've also made a great lemon pie using a recipe in the cookbook Vegan Vittles.



For cookbooks, try The Tofu Cookbook or This Can't Be Tofu.How can I make tofu taste better?
There are quite a few tofu cookbooks, see http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=se鈥?/a> (But my favorite vegetarian cookbook is still the old tried and true Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen.)



I like dousing firm tofu in soy sauce and eating it with any cooked vegetables or grains I have on hand. You can also make a great fake egg salad by mashing firm tofu and mixing it with mayo.



Instead of trying to mask the flavor though, you might think about trying to use the tofu as a dairy substitute and to add texture. For instance, you can put silken tofu in cheesecake or to make a pie crust.
If you don't like tofu, eat beans and/or lentils. I'm sure you can get beans where you are.

Anyway, with tofu, it will soak up the flavors of whatever you cook it in, so just cook it in some sauce that you like. Or mix tofu in with other things. I find tofu mixed with ricotta cheese and Italian seasoning makes a good lasagna filling.
Soak it in a little whisky an a bit of rum, throw the Tofu in the bin and drink the liquid.? lol
i dont think you can make tofu taste any better its bland, but you could try to eat other foods like vegetables of fruits maybe beans foods with better taste lol
at grocery stores they sell them in teriyaki flavor...thats what I buy. I cut into thin strips and fry them up in a greased pan until there a light brown color. Then mix them with noodles or brown rice.
Do you freeze your tofu? It gives it a chewier texture. Check out www.vegweb.com. There are several fairly easy recipes on that site.

No comments:

Post a Comment