Friday, October 22, 2010

What is the best way to prepare tofu? and how do I know which ones to choose?

I've recently decided to become a vegetarian, but I'm still so uncertain of a lot of the meat substitutes and things. I went to purchase some tofu the other day, and they were labeled either ';firm'; or ';extra firm.'; How do I know which one to get? And how do you prepare tofu? Do you marinate it just like you would a piece of meat? And how do you cook tofu? There were no cooking intructions on the package.



Also, what exactly does tofu taste like and how is the texture? is it any good? What do you serve tofu with? I think tofu is just egg whites--am I right about that??What is the best way to prepare tofu? and how do I know which ones to choose?
You will find a bunch of tofu recipes here



http://retete-culinare-diverse.ro/en/sea鈥?/a>What is the best way to prepare tofu? and how do I know which ones to choose?
Tofu is bean curd. It takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it in. Firm will work in just about any dish, works better if you are incorporating it into a shake. I prefer my tofu in spicy broths. You can marinate it, per say, in soy sauce and it will soak up the flavors. The texture of tofu is almost like eggs. It can be prepared in multiple ways, from being cooked in the skillet to grilled (might want to use extra firm for that).



hope this helps,



xoxoxoxo



bex
Tofu is soy protein. It's pretty tasteless and absorbs the flavors of the other foods you cook it with. You can marinate it and grill it, or bread it and bake it, or use it in a stir fry, or as a meat substitute for dishes like lasagna. I usually buy the extra firm so it doesn't fall apart. If you're planning on crumbling it for something like lasagna, you can get the softer ones. Make sure you drain it and pat it dry before you cook it. There's tons of tofu recipes online.
I went to purchase some tofu the other day, and they were labeled either ';firm'; or ';extra firm.'; How do I know which one to get?

depends how you want it served. usually extra firm is best. that's what i use





And how do you prepare tofu? Do you marinate it just like you would a piece of meat? And how do you cook tofu? There were no cooking intructions on the package.

Thats besuace its so much a whatever you want it to be food! what ever you put on it, thats what it will taste like. i like taco seasioning.



Also, what exactly does tofu taste like and how is the texture? is it any good? What do you serve tofu with? I think tofu is just egg whites--am I right about that??.

tofu is soy. it has no flavor and a very soft texture, dispite being extra firm. there is no egg in tofu. just google simple tofu recepies. its that easy!
Tofu is congealed soy milk, it tastes like nothing on its own but can take on flavors very easily. The type you buy depends on what you're making. You can marinate it or just stirfry or grill it with some spices.
I like dry fried tofu the best:



http://hubpages.com/hub/How_to_Cook_Tofu鈥?/a>





I like Small Planet Organic Tofu the best.
Hi *Smile*... I prefer extra firm tofu...



To prepare it you need to take it out of its water and cut it in half or quarters and place it on a plate that has paper towel on it. Place more paper towel on top of the tofu and put another plate or a chopping board on top, then put a couple of really heavy tins of food or a heavy weight on top of the plate or chopping board and let it press (drain) the tofu for at least 15 minutes. I usually leave it for half an hour or an hour. When the tofu is finished draining mix up your marinade and put the tofu into the marinade for as long as you have... Over night is great!!!! Then take the tofu out and either grill it, bake it or my favourite, fry it in little chunks and add it to stir-fry!!!!! Mmmmmm!!!!!!



Tofu tastes like whatever you marinade it in or cook it with. It doesn't really have much of a taste by itself... When its fried its crispy on the outside and soft on the inside...



Tofu is bean curd from the soya bean. It isn't egg whites.



Try it I am sure you will like it!!!!! If you don't like it the first time you try it, try it prepared a different way with different seasoning's and spices!!!!



I hope you enjoy it!!!!! I am glad to see that you are a veggie!!!!! Its great!!!!!!!! *Smile*

No comments:

Post a Comment