Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tofu in a stir-fry...?

My favorite stir fry, currently, consists of cubed hashbrowns, sliced red peppers, and eggs. Everything is cooked in extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. However, I don't really care for eggs in general, and it would be great if I could sub them out for tofu...



Does anyone have any simple recipe ideas? How could I cook the tofu to fit in with the hashbrowns and red peppers? (I don't want the tofu to taste like eggs, I just want it to work in the same direction as the original stir-fry taste-wise...) How should I go about cooking it?Tofu in a stir-fry...?
I just made a tofu stir fry last night.



I don't put eggs in mine, but for you--just add in the tofu with the rest of the ingredients. If you want the tofu to have that ';scrambled'; texture, just cut the block into small chunks then further break up the chunks as you're cooking the tofu.



Here's what I do, though:



Cut the tofu into small cubes 1inch cubes (about 1/4'; thick, but that's up to you).



Put a little olive oil in the pan and let it heat--add in the tofu, along with minced garlic. As the tofu takes on a slight golden color, I turn it until it's all lightly brown.



Remove the tofu.



Add a bit more olive oil. Combine your favorite stir fry veggies (broccoli, shoe-lace carrots, water chesnuts, sugar snap peas, etc) in the pan and stir fry.



(I also make a really simple stir fry ';sauce'; with chicken broth, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and a bit of sugar.)



Once the veggies are tender, I add the tofu back in. I remove the tofu beforehand because I like mine to remain intact (i.e., in cubes), but like I said--if you want the scrambled effect, just do it all together and concentrate on breaking down the tofu cubes. They crumble very easily, actually.



Anyway--I hope that helped. I know you have your own favorite recipe but I thought it might help to have an idea of the process that I use.Tofu in a stir-fry...?
Just drain, slice the tofu and cube the same size as your other ingredients. Stir fry the same way as with eggs.

Tofu can be eaten raw, so it does not need to be cooked through like eggs. You can use turmeric and/or paprika for coloring. Tofu can be smooshed with a fork and stir fried this way, too. Lots of tofu scrambles have crushed tofu.



Tofu is easier to cook than egs or potatoes. Just try it, I bet you'll be really happy with it. I like

the tempeh bacon cut up in a breakfast stir-fry.
Cut it into the sized pieces as you want and it will take in the taste of what ever you cook it with.

No comments:

Post a Comment