Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ways to cook/eat firm tofu?

I bought some firm tofu as an additional source of protein. I tried fried tofu at a Chinese place with an orange sauce, steamed broccoli, and white rice. Not a fan. I wanna try it in a different form. Doubt it tastes good raw. Should i grill it. How would you recommend cooking it and our there any vegetarian dishes I could put it in. Thanks for any tips.Ways to cook/eat firm tofu?
Scrambled ';egg'; style is my fave, just mash it up (add some spices like turmeric if you like) add some oil or dairy free spread and cook it in a fry pan. Smother with tomato sauce. Voila!



The first time I ate tofu I threw up it was so bad, no-one told me how foul it is uncooked!Ways to cook/eat firm tofu?
Marinade it in olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, turmeric, chili powder, cumin and coriander and fry with mushrooms, peppers and cherry tomatoes.
its gross raw, just dont do it lol. You can bake it in the oven, coated in a soy sauce or any other kind of sauce youd like. I usually just dice it into cubes and stir fry it with veggies and water chestnuts. You can also make normal recipes(like lasagna) and just substitute the tofu for the beef
i cook in it

black bean sauce

chilli sauce

with loads of vegetables
I make lo mein noodles with peanut sauce and fresh veggies. I steam the veggies until their crisp tender and make my noodles then add everything to gether in a big pot that I cooked the sauce in and add the diced tofu just to warm up. It can fall apart sometimes otherwise.
You can freeze it, marinade it, then cook it and it will make the tofu chewier.



You can press it, to drain as much water, then bake it in BBQ sauce. Veganomicon has a good Baked Tofu recipe.



You can eat it raw like egg salad. Crumble it up with your fingers and add mayo, mustard, celery, etc etc (whatever you like in egg salad). Put on slices of bread and enjoy.



Cut it into bits and fry it in a pan with some peanut oil.



You may want to try another Chinese restaurant's tofu before giving up. I like PF Chang's Coconut Curry Veggies (has tofu). I wouldn't count it out due to one place.



You could turn part of it into a dressing for veggies/salads. Veganomicon's Caesar dressing uses tofu.



Hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment