Friday, October 22, 2010

I am looking for some Tofu ideas.?

I am looking for some ideas on how to cook Tofu. I am a diabetic who is looking to start having meatless days (so I would eat meat the rest of the time). As a diabetic, I requre a certain amount of protein with each snack and meal. I was wondering about using tofu as one of those protein sources. While I like chinese food (the americanized version), I don't have much experience with Japanese, so I am looking for recipes that aren't TOO exotic at first. At the same time, I am wanting to try new things. Any suggestions?I am looking for some Tofu ideas.?
Check some of the link below....they contain a few things you can make at home.I am looking for some Tofu ideas.?
you could make a veggie and tofu stir fry, i just through in all the veggies in my fridge that look good, some tofu and some stir fry sauce or some random spices
http://www.tofu-recipes.com/



some lovely recipes here e.g



Basil Tofu



- 5 green onions, minced

- 6 or 8 cloves garlic, minced

- 1 package firm low-fat tofu, well-drained, sliced and marinated in soy sauce

- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped

- 1 teaspoon crushed chili pepper sauce (sambal oelek)

- 1 teaspoon soy sauce

cooked brown rice



Cook onions and garlic in water or stock or vinegar until tender. Add marinated tofu and cook another 5-10 minutes. Stir in basil, chili pepper sauce and soy sauce and heat through. Serve over brown rice.
Stir fries with soy sauce or peanut sauce are always good. Add cabbage, bok choy, carrots, onions... etc.

Make a scramble... but don't use regular tofu, use the silken tofu that comes in the refrigerator section, or in aseptic packs (MoriNu). Crumbled in a skillet with some butter/Earth Balance/oil, cumin, garlic, onions, nutritional yeast, and any veggies you want to use, it makes for some pretty convincing egg. You can even add pieces of sliced veggie sausage for more protein.

Try using tempeh for protein too. It has a stronger taste, so it's a little harder to cook with, but tempeh ';bacon'; is the best with apples and cheese!

Also, try these crustless quiches. I promise, they're wonderful! ...so are most things on that blog.
The following website has charts that show other forms of protein besides meat and tofu.



It will help you to vary your diet:



http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm



I have rarely used the soft silky tofu, except to have it with fresh fruit - mango, strawberries, peaches etc...



I never use to cook the silky tofu; I just took it straight from the packet and used it.



I mainly use to eat the firm tofu 鈥?tasted hideous plain 鈥?but fabulous when marinated.



An hour or two prior to cooking (stir-fry is great) cut the tofu into cubes and marinate in a mixture of:



陆 teaspoon chilli*

陆 teaspoon sesame seed oil

1 teaspoon freshly grated or finely chopped ginger

1 teaspoon freshly grated or finely chopped garlic

1 teaspoon honey

1 陆 teaspoon wheat-free tamari



Use organic produce wherever possible as it makes the flavours much more intense. If you can鈥檛 use organic on everything, at least use organic sesame seed oil, as it is better for your health.



It is ok to use fresh, dried or chilli from a jar but you should really use fresh ginger and garlic, not pre-packaged.



The honey is an important part, as it makes everything stick to the tofu, but you can get away with less than suggested.



The great thing about this recipe is you can change the quantities to suit yourself, I just found the above worked really well for my particular tastes. Just experiment and tastes as you go along to get something to suit your tastes.



* I use to use MasterFoods chilli from a jar.



This particular marinate also tastes great with chicken.



.
I LOVE fried tofu, you have to buy a vegan bread mix, and is a but to make sure it sticks, but it is SO good, I use olive oil. Also, Tofu Cuttlets, I buy them at walmart, are very good, you can chop them up on a salad, use slices like sandwhich meat, ANYTIHNG!

No comments:

Post a Comment