Thursday, October 28, 2010

How do I get my tofu to not turn to mush?

I sort of invented a recipe with tofu. I cook mushrooms, bean sprouts, shrimp, a little onion and lots of pineapple in pineapple juice, but my tofu always turns to mush. I buy the firm kind and cube it, but it still ends up mushy. Should I precook it or something like that? Any suggestions?How do I get my tofu to not turn to mush?
well... when i use tofu for stir fry i always cube it and then put it on a plate. i then stack more plates on it and leave it that way for lets say... 30 min. then i take it out and cook it. the plates squeeze all the moisture out of the tofu and make it firm!How do I get my tofu to not turn to mush?
I usually buy extra-firm, unless I'm using it to thicken something (then I buy silken). I cut it into small pieces and fold it in, rather than stir it......... Try this: Cut a package of extra-firm tofu into 4 really thick slices. Brush a little olive oil on both sides; sprinkle with garlic salt %26amp; oregano and grill on both sides (BBQ) until browned. It tastes a little like fried mozzarella!
Freeze it before- hand ( before cooking) or stick it in the fridge for eight hours just after you've cooked it . It is reallly hard to get tofu to firm up if it's coming straight out of the pack and onto your plate.
When I make stir-fry's I always pre-fry my cubed tofu (extra firm) and fry in in about 2 inches of oil, it preserved it texture and shape.



God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment