Friday, October 22, 2010

H o w c a n I c o o k t o f u? ( how can i cook tofu?!)?

I've recently become a vegitarian, not kiding like 3 days ago... ( my mom isn't happy.. anyways) I want to experiment with tofu, veggie dogs, and meat alternatives; also intresting beans :P I want to know how to cook the tofu, and any other intresting recipies that you guys might have, i have none. Also, brands that are decent, i know the yves brand of veggie dogs is good but what about tofu? and what kind should i get; soft, firm, extra firm, is there a medium ?! AAHH. :)H o w c a n I c o o k t o f u? ( how can i cook tofu?!)?
The great thing about tofu is that you can make it into pretty much anything you want! One of my favorite (and probably easiest) recipes for tofu is BBQ tofu. You'll need a package of firm or extra firm tofu (any brand works) and your favorite bbq sauce. Just spread foil over a pan and pour some bbq sauce over it. Spread it around until the foil is covered well. Cut the tofu into slices about an inch thick and place them on the foil. Pour bbq sauce over the tofu until it's well-covered (but not too much) and bake at 350 for an hour. I usually eat mine on sourdough bread with lettuce, tomatoes, and mayo.



As far as brands of veggie meat, I love Morningstar Farms products. I also use Worthington Foods/ Loma Linda frozen lunch meat rolls and hot dogs (Big Franks or Super Links... they come in cans).H o w c a n I c o o k t o f u? ( how can i cook tofu?!)?
If you want fried tofu either buy firm or extra firm tofu. You can make tofu chicken nuggets by buying extra firm tofu and bread crumbs, you can find that recipe over at compassion over killing

http://www.cok.net/lit/recipes/dinner.ph鈥?/a>
Easy peasy Tofu Scramble



Portion of tofu

Soy sauce (to taste)

Garlic (Salt or dried)

light sprinkle of Turmeric



You can also add any veggies you like or leave it as is. I like jalape帽os and onion. You might want to lightly cook them first depending on which veg you choose and how you like them.



Break the tofu into small pieces with your fingers.



Mix everything together.



Cook on high in a lightly oiled frying pan until warmed through and dark brown in some areas. Use a wooden spoon to scrape the stuck really dark bits off the pan, those bits are super tasty :)



Try not to burn it :)



I have this with toast almost every morning, easy and quick.
the type of tofu you get depends on what you want to do with it. Firm or extra firm is good for frying, silken is good for smoothies, soft is good in soups. I like to cut firm tofu into cubes, about 1/2 inch, and fry them in oil on both sides, to brown it slightly, then drain some of the oil on a plate with paper towels. After that, I toss them in a veggie stir fry with rice or rice noodles.
If you are not into cooking, then buy the extra firm, chop it up into a pot- heat it up (takes around 1 minute on high heat) and then mix it with some soy sauce. yummmm! Yve's also has other great products like chicken burgers, turkey cold cuts (those are the best tasting ones), ground beef for tacos etc.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!
Meat alternatives come in handy for so many recipes. If you're looking to fry the tofu, you should probably drain/press it first by setting something heavy on top of it so the water can get out and after you're done pressing it you should marinate it for a little while in something flavorful because tofu is pretty tasteless. If you're wanting to bake it, you should still press it, but marinating isnt such an issue, because depending on what you cook it with. If you're baking tofu, you can just put barbecue sauce right on it to bake it. I usually bread my tofu with eggs, but I'm a vegetarian not a vegan. Meat alternatives and veggie dogs.. you don't really have to experiment just be prepared because if you're not used to the texture you may be weirded out by it. I've been a pescetarian for almost two years and I'm so used to the textures and tastes of ';veggie meat'; that it's not even a small issue for me. I use fake chicken patties, hot dogs, meat crumbles, burgers, ';ribs';, and other things in all my recipes and I find it easy and it tastes pretty good.

good luck!

also, to cook with, get extra firm tofu. To make desserts with (cheesecake and things like that) get firm! and to make drinks and shakes and stuff like that, get soft. :]
You can pretty much do anything! I BBQ it: I season some slices, put it on the grill for about 2 minutes on each side, and then put teriyaki sauce on it. I fry it: heat up oil (I use olive oil), bread the tofu slices using flour, breadcrumbs, and any seasoning you want, and fry it like you would fry chicken. and so many other ways to cook it! You can even make scrambled tofu! As for the mock meats, when it comes to veggie burgers, I like Boca, But when it comes to fake chicken nuggets and such, I eat Morningstar. Hope this helps!
  • adviceonhowtofalloutoflove
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment