Thursday, October 28, 2010

Just got tofu, how to cook it?

I've just bought some cauldrons tofu, and would like to have it with stir fry, so how do I go about it?



Do I cook the tofu first and put in with cooked veg?



Or mix all in at once...etcJust got tofu, how to cook it?
One thing you might want to do before you cook your tofu is freeze and press it. I have tips in my profile.



I would cook the tofu first, and then toss in the heavier veggies, progressing to the lighter, quick-cooking veggies. Add the sauce, give it a stir-round, then serve.Just got tofu, how to cook it?
If you bought plain tofu in a block - I usually chop it into cubes and marinate it in soy sauce and chinese 5 spice.

Then I pan fry them separately to crisp them up and add them to the stir fry towards the end of cooking.
The tofu will break up too much if you try to stir fry it with your veg.



Try pan frying it in some oil first (or deep fry) to give it a bit of strength and place on some kitchen paper to drain. stir fry your veg, plus some sauce, and then pour over the top.



Also, you could try something like this recipe for Tofu-crab dumplings:

http://www.waiyeehong.com/index.php?opti鈥?/a>
Yep, similar to what Newsgirl says.



Tofu is bland on it's own and needs flavourful ingredients to accompany it.



Pat it dry using a kitchen towel or kitchen roll and try to get as much excess liquid out beforehand as this extra moisture may cause the oil to spit when cooking. I marinate it in soy sauce, then coat in 5 spice and a touch of cornflour.



Cook the tofu in 1-2 tablespoons of oil (veg or sunflower) on a high heat turning occasionally until golden. Drain on kitchen towel then continue to cook the rest of your stirfry and add the tofu towards the end to heat through.
Hopefully it's the firmest you can buy. I do my tofu in some light oil on a nonstick surface (wok, in my case). I don't like the heat too high because it can burn very quickly. After it's done you can just put it in a bowl until the rest of your veggies are done, then add the tofu and fry up a bit more, adding your sauces at the very end.

Asian restaurants almost always take large chunks of it and deep-fry. While definitely not the healthiest option I find that it's definitely the most appealing way to eat it. The outside gets crispy and the inside turns fluffy.

I disagree with anyone who says that tofu doesn't taste like anything. Being veg for so long I can taste it distinctly and it's sooo good, even without all the sauces added.
cut tofu into half an inch slabs



let the tofu soak in soy sauce for an hour or so.



get a pan and put vegetable oil in it and bring to a boil.



put the tofu in the pan and let it fry

(be careful if the oil splashes back you will be in PAINNN)



once it looks dark enough, take it out and let it cool off.



enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment