Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Help becoming a vegetarian?

I have always been a vegetarian-wannabe, since I was 10. Actually, when I was 10 I became a vegetarian for almost a year... but I couldn't keep up with it because it was just too difficult (my entire family eats meat, and I can't quite cook for myself!)



Now, I'm 16, and I really want to be a vegetarian. Not for moral reasons, or for health reasons (i'm already skinny-minny)... but just because I like the idea of eating organic and eliminating icky meat from my diet. Yeah. Just... I need help on making the transition. It's hard because my family eats meat and I'm really not that great of a cook, so I can't make my own dishes.



I would like to hear from people who are young and who have lived with meat-eaters, please.



Also, another big question of mine: What the heck is tofu? What is it made out of? How does it taste?Help becoming a vegetarian?
I have been a vegetarian since birth, i am the only one in my family. The way that I handled it when I was younger was to just has more of the vegetables that are offered at the meal. But as I have gotten older and started to cook more for myself I have started to make more recipes that are meat free. I personally don't use meat substitutes, because I feel they taste gross.

One place you can look for recipes at is at the Kraft Foods website. They have many options for those who want to go vegetarian.

Also many recipes can be made without meat. Often times you can just eliminate it from the meal.



As for your question about tofu, it is made from soy beans. it is made by pressing the beans. The more it is pressed the more solid it is. As for the taste I enjoy it. For the most part it really doesn't have one, it takes on the taste of whatever it is being cooked with. I typically use it when I cook Thai food so it takes on the taste of the spices that I use.Help becoming a vegetarian?
My son is 16..he likes to experiment when he cooks. He is mostly a vegetarian. He trys a lot of stuff in vegetable soup. He eats vegetarian meats in spaghetti and sandwiches. Some of it is very good. There are frozen vegeburgers that taste great that you can get in most any store. Put all the usual hamburger stuff on it but use the vegeburger. You can microwave it or fry it. You can also get vege meat in a can...and mix it up with mayo and pickle relish and make some great sandwiches. Tofu is soy cheese and does not have much taste but is very good protein. It is in the produce section usually. You can mix it with stuff to give it a taste. Type in cooks.com and type in tofu and get a lot of recipes. Good luck. Keep asking questions about it on here too!
I have a great book suggestion for you! It's called ';Vegetables Rock!'; It's a great teen guide to vegetarian/vegan lifestyles, including some really easy recipes and tips on exactly your situation.



It's on Amazon, for as little as $10, or you can probably find it or order it at your local bookstore. I'm not even a vegetarian, but I love the snack recipes in that book.



Tofu is made of soybeans, it's very creamy and smooth, and tastes just exactly like whatever you season it with. Very neutral, and very versatile.
If your taking soy you can leave out tofu, tofu is beancurd.

Being a vegetarian, we tense to take in more protein than meat taker. so be careful on this. My knowledge could be out dated on this so you check the internet ok.



Since your not a strict vegetarian, for a start, just take the veg beside the meat if their cook together. of course it will be best if the dish is just veg alone.



you can cook yourself too. look for this veg that can be eaten by just boiling, like brocolli.... add olive oil and lemon to the boiling water, it will not taste sour and maintenace the fragant.
if you want to become veg its very simple think about the innocent animals think about the face of innocent animals if they have the ability to talk like us they will definitely tell their feelings you know one thing i am a non-veg around 9 years before, i eat everything that time but from one day just from one day i stopped all these things and you know what i feeling now and what is my big sadness in life that earlier days that i have finished and eaten many of innocent animals life...... when i think about that i felt very very bad feeling about me... we have no power to take somebody life, we can't give a new life then why we killed one life? moreover, veg is good for your digestion also it become digest in our body easily, I think and my dream is every one turned to vegetable food and keep our body and heart healthy and clean.



God bless you.... be bold always i am sure you can make it and you can become a nature lover.
I have been a vegetairian since I was 13 and its great!I mean I was just like you my whole family ate meat and I was a vegetairian wanna-be when I was 9 and 10.But I just loved nuggets!Well when I first became a vegetairian I just tried pratically every vegetable to see which ones I liked and didn't.I also ate aton of vitamins so that I would have enough iron.And as for meat substitutes...I just thought they tasted weird.



And tofu is just made of soy beans.I personally love it though.
I am a recent meat eater turned vegetarian. My family was shocked when I woke up one morning and announced that I was no longer eating meat (for the fact that I was never big on veggies). My husband eats meat and my daughter eats only fish, so I know where you are coming from. In my case, I am not a great cook either. I turned to www.goveg.com, you can get great recipes, learn about meat substitutions, and a variety of information that will aid you in your quest to become a vegetarian. Tofu is very bland which is good. This means it takes on what ever flavor you mix it with. I have made a vegan chocolate pie and everyone who tried it was surprised it tasted so good. They could not believe it was made with tofu. Tofu comes in various forms, (ex. silken, firm, extra firm). This is because it is so versatile. A lot of what I buy comes from a specialty store. Most main stream supermarkets don't carry a lot of vegetarian or vegan foods except the basics. Good luck %26amp; hope this helps.
I know you said you don't want the mock meats... but TRY Morningstar Farms ones. They are SOOOO good. IN fact, their chicken nuggets and sausage links are better than the real stuff, IMO. I hate ALL the other brands of mock meats too... but I'm tellin' ya... Morningstar's are GREAT!



Without using mock meats, it's gonna be really tough until you're ready to make your own meals. Simply not eating the meat portion of your families meals isn't going to provide you with the nutrition you need. You've got to substitute it with other stuff. Vegetarians who don't use the mock meats need a lot more legumes, nuts, etc in their diet to provide protein and other nutrients in meat.
well, i will answer the 2nd part of the question about tofu.



i am Chinese-American. tofu is a integral part of a weekly meal for me. i love it. it contains the 4 basic amino acids you need. the other 4 comes from rice. the combo of rice + tofu has the same effect as eating meat. remember human need at least 8 basic amino acids to live.



tofu is made of soybean. it looks like a block and can be cooked thousands of ways (if you are very good at cooking). it is soft and taste awesome with the appropriate sauces. for more info, you can contact me via email.



try it. news things are good for you.
First lot of vegetarian things yuo dont need to cook.Second if yuo dont eat meat you nor normal yuool need to take pills visit the doctor like very day just too see if your healthy

No comments:

Post a Comment