Friday, November 19, 2010

Vegetarian: I need ideas for meals?

(I don't eat meat or fish, I DO eat dairy and a lot of it. Because of a health problem, I can't eat foods high in carbs)

I'm trying hard to eat healthier, but I never cooked until recently and am having a hard time coming up with meals. they need to be something I can prepare in advanced so I can use leftovers for meals over 2 or 3 days.

Right now I eat omelette's for breakfast, peanut butter sandwich for lunch, and usually tofu and veggie stir fry for dinner.

I also need something I can take for lunches that doesn't need to be heated up. I was going to make a bean salad without all the oil and stuff. Not sure how it will taste, but I'll give it a try.



Does anyone have suggestions for fairly easy to prepare meals that don't take a ton of ingredients, and I can use the leftovers?Vegetarian: I need ideas for meals?
Here are a few websites for you:



http://www.vegcooking.com/f_holiday_cook鈥?/a>



http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm



http://www.ivu.org/recipes/



My daughter is vegan and I use these websites to make food for her, I am sure you can find whatever you desire on these sites.

Good Luck:)Vegetarian: I need ideas for meals?
I'm vegetarian ( i don't eat eggs, meat or fish)

i love BOCA BRUGER, meatless meatloaf, beans. Honestly there's tons of recipes online!! have fun looking:)
My current favourite is a vegetarian shepherd's pie - substitute brown lentils for the ground beef, mixed with barbecue sauce for more flavour.



For lunches, I'm a big fan of avocados and hard boiled eggs. I spread half an avocado on two slices of whole wheat bread, and layer with sliced eggs. Or make a spinach salad, with sliced eggs and chunks of avocado (not too ripe, firm is better) with your choice of veggies and dressing.
Eating the way you are eating now, you will become more unhealthy with vegetarian food.



Here are a few ideas for you:



(1) Cook 1-1/2 to 2 cups of rice in a pressure cooker. My wife usually adds 2 to 3 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. This will become at least 4-1/2 to 6 cups after cooking. Eat at least 2 cups of rice for lunch and dinner along with the following two:



(2) Cook at least 1 cup of lentils. You can cook both lentils and rice in a pressure cooker and they will come out fine. Add plenty of water to lentils. The lentil we usually use is called ';Toor Dal'; and can be found in Indian stores.



(3) Cook plenty of vegetables in plenty of water. Add a pinch of salt. My wife adds ';Masala'; (again try Indian stores) in addition to salt but that is because we are from India and we love hot and spicy food. Everyone should try it too. Make sure the masala has turmeric; studies after studies have shown turmeric to be highly beneficial. You can also buy turmeric and add it to the vegetables while boiling.



These, along with milk will keep you healthy.



For breakfast, I either eat breakfast bars made of oats or I cook oats (about 1/2 cup is good). I add chutney powder (Indian stores) and some salt to make it interesting.



You state that you cannot foods high in carbs. If rice is an issue, try other whole grains like wheat or whole eats.



I highly recommend that you (and any others who read this) buy a cook book on South Indian food and learn to cook South Indian way. It is probably the best way to cook food. The only caveat: It can be spicy and too much cooking of vegetables (especially frying) which is sometimes used by Indians is not good. Avoid oils and fatty substances.
Grilled veggie and cheese quesedilla- Can use the grilled veggies for your omelet the next morning.

Refried beans and cheese

Pita sandwich with hummus, mozzarella cheese and cherry tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment