Friday, November 19, 2010

Why are people so turned off by vegetarian food?

I am vegetarian and a lot of people ask me how I survive without eating meat. First of all, I am vegetarian by choice. For me, I have access to a lot of good vegetarian food. My mother is vegetarian and she cooks very well. Her food is very good and she makes all kinds, indian, italian, chinese, mediterannian. I love all vegetables and tofu is my favorite! I also eat a wide variety of exotic fruit, such as pomegranate.





However my friend hates all of that. She doesn't like tofu or pomegranate. All because she tried them before in a way that is disgusting. A tofu shake, sounds gross. Pomegranate juice, I've never tried it but I love the fruit. She probably wont try these ever again because of bad experiences with it.





That is what I blame. People are so turned off by vegetarian food because they try it once and it wasn't a good source to try it from if you understand what I mean.





Please comment on what the other reasons are.Why are people so turned off by vegetarian food?
Some meaters just don't like vegetarians.





Actually, there isn't a meater in the world that doesn't like vegetarian foods. We eat them all the time, they're called ';side dishes';. We eat veges and beans etc......we just don't eat the faux stuff, because we have the real deal.Why are people so turned off by vegetarian food?
I think some people just love meat too much to give it up. I respect vegetarians and their choices, but I couldn't give up meat even though I love many vegetarian dishes and have vegetarian cookbooks.
well it's pretty silly since 'vegetarian food' has some kind of different connotation for people than just the fact of eating some vegetables or fruit, or bread or pasta! i can eat plenty of foods without meat - but i won't necessarily eat healthy!
meat stimulates the enzymes in ur saliva to break up more food and it leaves u the feeling that u hav eaten more n it is actually tastier.


vegetables ...healthy as they are dont seem to stimulate this kind of a feeling unless it is cooked along with some other content that activates ur taste-buds


technically its all in the subconcious mind. wat u c is what u believe. if u try sum gud vegetarian products u wud probably hav a better attitude 2 it
Many people eat with their eyes, and if they don't like what they see they will say they don't like it


You could put a plate of food in front of me and I will taste it.


If the taste is wrong for me I will tell you why and ask if there are other ways to prepare it.


I have never tried tofu but if I can make it to my taste I have no problem putting it on my plate.








Omnivore
I enjoy vegetarian food; it's how it is prepared that is essential.
Vegetarianism is the practice of a diet that excludes all animal flesh, including poultry, game, fish, shellfish or crustacea, and slaughter by-products.[1]





There are several variants of the diet, some of which also exclude eggs and/or some products produced from animal labor such as dairy products and honey. Veganism, for example, excludes all animal products from diet and in some definitions from attire also,[2] whether or not the production of clothing or items has involved the actual death of an animal (dairy, eggs, honey, wool, silk, down feathers, etc.).





A generic term for both vegetarianism and veganism as well as for similar diets is ';Plant-based diets';.[4]





The reasons for choosing vegetarianism may be related to moral, religious, cultural, ethical, aesthetic, environmental, social, economic, political, taste, or health concerns.
You are probably right. I think a lot of people think that being a vegetarian means that you eat nothing but veggies, rice and tofu.
Mock meats and meatless meals are so different from what people are used to, especially if they are raised as a meat eater.





Most of the time it takes an ';acquired'; taste but this isn't always the case. I believe if someone is really adamant about adopting this type of lifestyle, they will find a way to make it work and get through any hurdle that may come along.





Also, vegetarians don't just have to eat ';pro-vegetarian'; type food found at the grocery store - you know like items from Morningstar Farms, Gardenburger, etc. We can eat *anything* we want MINUS the meat.





Check out http://maketheconnection.co.nr for more information on a vegetarian/vegan diet!
I've always wondered this myself and I'm a meat eater.





There are some vegetarian foods that I like a lot.





Pasta, for one. Granted, I've grown up with it.


Tofu, when prepared right, is great. Especially in Miso Soup.





It probably comes down to bad experiences.


I used to drink Milk with EVERY dinner meal I ate at home. Cereal in the morning, and milk and cookies sometime as well.





then I downed a glass of spoiled milk after having Milk and cookies.





I haven't been able to have milk since, even when its fresh it tastes bad to me.





Mock meats can be very good, but I HATE Gardenburger varity ones.





Boca plain is great, though. I found that out when my parents made some of those for themselves to try it, and the ';real'; burgers had some crap spice on them. I still like real burgers, but crappy spice is crappy spice.
I see it as being your choice, and i respect that. It is no different than your friend making the choice to eat meat, in which you must also respect. I personally love meat. i hunt and fish, but on the other end of the spectrum, i love veggies and fruits as well( not all but very many). If, you are a vegetarian because of health reasons, there are many ways to eat healthy while also eating meat. Depending on what type of meat you eat, how often and how big of a serving plays a large role on its health benefits. I also think that many people dont have access to somebody (such as your mother) who can cook great vegetarian meals while also having the time to do it. The bottom line is that everyone has their own choice in foods and just because you like tofu, doesnt mean everybody does or has to, and you can't get upset about it either.
im not a vegeterian, but i luv that fake chicken ya'll got it's like really good, i have a friend who is a vegetarian and i used to think she was crazy but she let me try some of the stuff she ate and alot of it taste pretty good, i think we jus all like meat, i mean somehting we can sink our teeth into, but everyone's different
They can't get past their view that being selfless is a sign of weakness.





It's really very sad.
I have no idea why people stay completely away from the food. I think soy, tofu, and mushroom based products are absolutely delicious! The biggest reason they don't like it is because they don't give it a chance.
I'm a vegetarian and I think that people assume that it is disgusting because it is simply not meat ! I always thought tofu was weird until I tried some that was prepared correctly. Once people are exposed to different types of food they will adjust.


Vegetarians can eat everything that is not meat- that leaves alot of food open to try! So many! Not everyone has to eat ';mock-meats'; such as veggie burgers and the like. (I have tried some and liked them and disliked a few) I think that because alot of people have always eaten meat they assume that nothing else cannot compare.(wrong) I think that one has to try many different dishes then they can decide for themselves whether they like ';veg food';. To try two veg dishies and proclaim that they are all disgusting is very ignorant.
I love vegetarian food. Meat is gross and it always made me feel bad when I ate it (I mean like sick, a little guilty too though). I'm way happier since I've become a vegetarian. My little brother who's twelve recently became a vegetarian and he likes it too, his favourite foods were hamburgers before he went vegetarian too, and he became one of his own volition. Yay vegetarian food! :0) Anyway, I think what a lot of people don't realize for some reason is that they actually do like some vegetarian food, it's not like they eat meat with everything, is it? You're right too though, a lot of people try one vegetarian thing (like a tofu shake), don't like it and get totally turned off of vegetarian dishes because of one bad vegetarian food they tried. I'm sure there are things with meat in it that she doesn't like either.
Honestly, I don't think most people are turned off by vegetarian food. Almost everyone I know will have a slice of plain cheese pizza or spaghetti with tomato sauce now and then. I think a lot of meat eaters may be closed minded about tofu or other ';weird'; vegetarian foods, but many eat ';accidentally'; vegetarian dishes pretty regularly.





I went to lunch one day this summer with five girlfriends. I was the only vegetarian but there was only one meat dish ordered between the six of us. And these ladies know full well that I have no issue with them eating meat in my presence. It just so happens that some of the vegetarian dishes sounded very appetizing.
There are a lot of people out there that prefer meat with every meal - and scoff at vegetarian food being rabbit food but the fact that there are literally thousands of food combinations made with vegies and from all different cultures as well. But the fact is these stade people just cant get out of their comfort zone and cannot try new things.
They are incapable of thinking critically, and so it has never occurred to them that the majority of what they eat IS ';vegetarian food';.
We have been taught since we are chlidren that all our meals need to contain meat as the main ingrediant. Its simply brain washing.....


People need to get over that and realize all that meat is unhealthy and unnatural.


GO VEGETARIAN


Peace


GG
I think you answered your own question.





In addition;


A lot of times what people try to do is to replace the meat or ';pretend'; to eat meat, like making burger patties out of ground mushrooms or shaping tofu to look like a turkey. If you're not going to eat meat why do you want to pretend to eat meat? People are disappointed when the pretend meat doesn't taste like meat. I really think that's a big one.





Also, we're supposed to eat meat and we like meat. It's unwise to eliminate an entire food group from your diet unless you're very careful about the it.
  • loan rates
  • web proxy server
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment