Friday, November 19, 2010

How to modify this Chinese hot pot recipe to use chicken rather than beef?

It's not exactly an authentic Chinese hot pot recipe. It came from my mom's Jenny Craig recipes book, but my dad LOVED it and told me he wanted it again but with chicken and tofu rather than beef. Basically, the way I made it was boiling carrots and mushrooms in a mix of water, vegetable broth, red wine vinegar, and soy sauce. After 5 minutes of simmering, I added some noodles and simmered another 5 minutes. I then added 2 Tbs of corn starch (mixed with 1/4 cup water) and simmered that an additional 1 minute, so it was nice and thick. I then added the beef, which I had sliced into very thin pieces (stew meat sliced into 1/4 inch strips, just about).



Okay! So, according to the recipe, as soon as I'd added the beef to the boiling soup, I turned off the heat and let it just sit in the broth for 5 minutes. This left the beef pinkish, but cooked. However, I'm very nervous about how to modify the recipe for chicken. I know rawish chicken can make you REALLY sick. How long should I boil the 1/4 inch strips of chicken so that they are well-cooked without my dad complaining that I turned his chicken into shoe leather?



All answers appreciated. If you know a good website for this sort of thing, that would also be great. I'm a vegetarian and still new to cooking meat and am very scared of it. If I give my dad food poisoning, my mom will kill me.How to modify this Chinese hot pot recipe to use chicken rather than beef?
I would make it the exact same way. Chicken breast will cook quicker than beef and should be completely cooked within the time that your thin beef strips were slightly pink inside. Check the chicken right before you serve and if still slightly underdone, give it another few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment