Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Maintaining a Vegan Diet in College?

I'm going to ASU for college in a couple of years, and I was wondering if anyone knows how accommodating ASU (or any other state university for that matter) is to vegans.



The university (ASU) has constructed new dormitories and students are required to live in them for at least their freshman year. My main concern is that I cook most of my food, and I can't cook in a dorm. Sure, microwaves may be allowed, but I can't cook with only a microwave and a minifridge. I also don't want to go broke buying expensive frozen dishes.



So I guess my main question is: if I am required to pay for a meal plan or whatever, if I mention that I'm vegan, will they tell me to eat uncooked tofu and salad, or are there better options? And if there aren't, are toaster ovens allowed in ASU dorms?



Thanks for any information. I don't want to starve!Maintaining a Vegan Diet in College?
Some may have vegan options in their menu. but my college does not.



You probably can waive out of the meal plan, I did because they agreed that they did not offer enough/ANY selection of vegan meals. They usually say you can only if its medical or religious. If you talk to them though they should compromise, or you can say its both. You feel religiously that animals should not be harmed. and you can get a note from your doctor telling them that vegan is the healthiest choice and that meat has harmful qualities. I was going to do this btu they let me out of it by writing a note saying I was vegan.



If they do make you get a meal plan, say that you will compromise by getting a cheaper one, that way you can use it for veggie wraps, pasta, or drinks. And if not even then, talk to the dean of admissions, they would rather negotiate something with the meal plan office then to lose a possible student.



Chances are they do not allow toaster ovens in the dorm. Here we are allowed a microfridge. they use half the power b/c when the microwave is on the fridge shuts off, however some colleges don't even allow microwaves at all!





Since I don't have a meal plan, I use the money taht I would have spent on the meal plan and buy food. (If they don't allow microwaves they should have microwaves and maybe even stoves/ovens in a kitchen somewhere in your residence hall) I buy a box of veggie burgers, frozen veggies, hummus, bread, baked potatoes, carrots, and then i buy some prepackaged meals like Thai Kitchen, and Simply Asia about half of their meals are vegan.Maintaining a Vegan Diet in College?
Actually, I heard that colleges are adding vegan meals to their menus.
i don't know much about asu dorms, but i swear i've heard somewhere that they had decent vegan food options.. maybe it was on that peta college thing? but i would find out who the head food guy is and email him. i did that here at msu (where vegan food absolutely sucks) and he took me on a tour and asked if i wanted anything... he promised me tempeh and a renewable vegan cheese source, yet no luck.. i haven't really pushed though. i'm not malnourished however, well at least not iron deficient, i've given blood twice since being here. if there is hummus, that is an excellent source of protein and iron. i stick to salad, hummus, raw vegetables, bananas, and apples. occasionally there's some vegan entree (which i usually avoid since most of the time it looks suspicious). although i haven't had any health problems, i miss cooking so much and hate the lack of variety in my diet

so i would figure out what your cafeteria does offer if i were you and also consider smuggling in a toaster oven, i plan on getting one of those in the spring :)

oh yeah, and having a magic bullet is very nice too

and wow, a couple of years? i didn't know where i wanted to go until a couple weeks before i graduated.. ;) (and i'm still not sure if i want to go here)

No comments:

Post a Comment