Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I have a bit of a cooking dilemna. I've been a veggie for nine months, but my husband LOVES meat. Help!?

I want to cook for him, but I get disgusted of the smell of raw chicken, meat and pork. I also don't want to touch or cut it because I'm completely disgusted. What can I do?



It makes it harder to know he's not a salad person either. He's not crazy about vegetables. The only thing I can think of is stir-fried veggies with tofu and tofu skewers, but how tiring can that be? He's also not really into Meditteranean food or hummus, so these factors also make it hard.



Please help!I have a bit of a cooking dilemna. I've been a veggie for nine months, but my husband LOVES meat. Help!?
Try veggie crumbles ( i buy mine at target) they taste like groung beef



veggie burgers ( I like gardenburger)



and tofurkey



Morningstar Farms Meal Starters Chik'n Strips are also goodI have a bit of a cooking dilemna. I've been a veggie for nine months, but my husband LOVES meat. Help!?
How long have you been with him? Maybe you should ask him to cook at least some of the meals if he wants meat, and it bothers you that much.



Other than that, do a small roast (chicken, beef or pork). Just plop it in a roast pan, sprinkle with pepper and garlic (or whatever he likes), and pop it in the oven. You can do veggie sides for yourself, and he can enjoy the meat for several days.
I see a lot of those purdue already cooked differently spiced chicken stips in your future. Just microwave them. Hormel pre-cooked roasts, you can have the bob evans mashed potatoes and whatever veggies and your veggie food. It's hard but possible. You know, it's not the 50's either. Make the basics and have him add his own meat to the skewers, or heat his own roast if you buy the pre-cooked ones. Make the sides and have him help with his part. Just keep the fridge stocked with a variety of everything.... plus,we keep all sorts of pasta cooked and frozen so my husband adds frozen meatballs, or chipsteak or whatever he is in the mood for. We keep bags of frozen pre-cooked shrimp from Costco and he heats and tosses with pasta and alfredo sauce, I put on salads. The possibilities are endless.
Well, if you don't eat it, and are disgusted by it... stop making it. If he wants what you make, he'll eat it. And if he really wants meat to go along with the rest of the meal, he should cook it. It'll give him a reason to use the grill.



I do this all the time with my family. I'll offer to cook a meal for them and tell them what it'll be. I won't cook meat, so I tell them if they want it, they can cook/bring it. Usually they just eat the vegetarian stuff I make... it's a lot easier for them.





Alternately, if you can stand to cook it every once in a while, you could make a lot at once and freeze/refrigerate it to be used later. That way you wouldn't be around it as much.
Get the vegetarian imitation meat like spicy fake sausages and chicken, etc. He will like it because it tastes the same.
My hubby until recently was a meat eater. I made it very clear to him I do not buy, or cook meat ever not even for him. If he wants to eat it he needs to buy it, cook it, and then clean it up.



If I were you I would try one new vegetarian dish a week. Sooner or later you will make something that he will enjoy until then have him pitch in if he feels a need to eat meat. Explain to him how you feel about it.
Three options: Buy the meat analogues and serve them to him. Does he like stir fries or stews? Make those with the analogues. If that doesn't work, buy pre-cooked meats--many grocery stores have precooked meats you can buy to take home and warm up--and let him warm them up to go with the sides you make. Or he can buy and cook his own meats in dedicated cookware only.



If you go with the first option and it works out, maybe you could have an agreement that he eats veggie at home but can eat meat at restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment