Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What creative, flavorful ideas to you have for ';chicken'; salad?

I am going shopping tomorrow and getting some Quorn Naked Chicken Breasts, which I intend to use to make a ';chicken'; salad spread for sandwiches.



I'm bored with plain food. I love dishes that are flavorful and creative. Fruits, nuts, seasonings, etc! I love food that people are surprised by.



So, do you ever make tofu or ';chicken'; salad? What do you add to it? How do you season the tofu/chick'n and how do you cook it?



OR, what would you suggest? I'm open to untested ideas too!



I'm an ovo-lacto vegetarian so egg and dairy products are just fine. Thanks!What creative, flavorful ideas to you have for ';chicken'; salad?
I make a mock ';chicken'; salad pretty often using Tempeh. But you could use the Quorn strips too.



8 oz. Turtle Island Soy or Five Grain Tempeh OR 8 oz. Quorn

1-1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup celery, chopped fine

1/4 cup minced onion

1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped

1 tsp. dill weed

1/4 cup vegan or regular mayonnaise

1 1/2 tsp. mustard (wet) prepared

1 Tbsp. soy sauce

1 Tbsp. lemon juice

1/2 tsp. garlic powder

2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds



Grate Tempeh and marinate in 1 quart of water with salt for 20 minutes, if using. If using Quorn, just cut it up. Drain and place in a bowl with chopped onion, celery, parsley and dill weed. Mix remaining ingredients together and add to Tempeh and vegetable mixture. Mix well, serve in salads or on sandwiches.



I love this salad stuffed in pita bread or atop spinach salad too. It's pretty good.What creative, flavorful ideas to you have for ';chicken'; salad?
I would say chicken, cantaloupe, pine nuts, mint and parmesan cheese. Sounds good to me!
chicken ceaser salad always goes down well!



and one i made up a few weeks ago..



strips of qorn chicken breast marinaded in honey and whole grain mustard marinade, served on a bed of rocket with balsamic dressing :) yumm! could always add a few little squared chunks of new potatoe in there aswell!
1/2 cup whipping cream

1/2 cup smoked almonds

4 grilled skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon

salt and pepper to taste



Whip cream to soft peaks. Chop almonds in food processor. If desired, shred chicken or chop finely.

In a large bowl combine the cream, almonds, chicken, mayonnaise, tarragon, salt and pepper. Mix well and serve.


I periodically smoke a whole bunch of chicken breasts using an indirect heat, hardwood smoker. I know, it's not something alot of people have access to. But grilled chicken would be good too. Then I mix it with chopped scallions, celery and mix in some Kraft Tomato-Bacon salad dressing with the mayo. I leave the chicken chunky. This works well as a sandwich or served on a bed of lettuce.
mock chicken, sliced celery, mayonnaise, chopped walnuts, and grated apple.
I just bought some ';not chicken'; buillion cubes. Awesome. They really taste like chicken broth. Might spice it up a bit.



When i made chicken salad, way back when, i put almost equal parts chicken and eggs. I like a lot of egg. I also made it almost like deviled eggs, with mustard and miracle whip, and a bit of vinegar. I prefer dill pickles, so sometimes i used dill relish, sometimes just cut up pickles. And my very favorite thing is either pecans or cashews, and maybe some red grapes.



I've craved chicken salad many times over the years. I've always wondered how to fake it.

No comments:

Post a Comment