Sunday, November 14, 2010

I don't want to be vegetarian but I seem to be. How do I cook/deal with it/get vitamins etc.?

Meat is disgusting me, (so do aubergines and mushy tomatoes and tofu) I don't particularly want to be in this situation, or know how to cope with it, but every time I go to eat meat the thought, and texture of it makes me want to spit it out, ie I choke as if I had something disgusting in my mouth or throat. Prior to this, I was happily cooking away with marrowbone, kidneys and other cuts of meat that even your avarage meat eaters would reject. I don't need to know what is wrong with me, I suppose that will come out in the wash (no I'm not pregnant) but I do need to know how to give myself a balanced and _interesting_ diet. (Oh please let it be interesting!) This has been going on for about three months now, and I am about demented with it. (and don't ask me what is so great about meat that I miss it.... I just do..... but I can't eat it)I don't want to be vegetarian but I seem to be. How do I cook/deal with it/get vitamins etc.?
I have been a vegetarian for 36 years now. I chose this wayof life as I couldn't bring myself to eat animals. It was my choice and when I had my children they were given half vegetarian meals and half meat meals. My daughter chose to turn vegetarian and my son chose to eat meat.



Like you, I too enjoyed the taste of meat, in particular chicken and tuna. However, I can quite categorically say I do not miss them and the thought of putting any kind of meal, fowl or fish in my mouth makes me want to heave.



When I stopped eating meat there were no Tofu or Quorn alternatives and it took another five years before Soya became readily avialable. Looking back I guess my turning vegetarian must have been a nightmare for my mother when it came to cooking my meals.



From a health point of view, both my doctor and dentist have put down my good teeth and healthy body down to eating the 'right' things, ie, I eat lots of vegetables and fruit, pulses and Quorn. All these things are low in fat too, so that's an added bonus. I have friends who stopped eating meat for various reasons and all have said they feel better for doing it whatever the reason for starting. So please embrace vegetarianism and give it a go. You never know, you may like it. (By the way, there are many good vegetarian recipe books available now).



Good luck!





PS: Allen B - I can honestly say I have never suffered from zits, spots, pimples or acne of any kind!! In fact, I am proud to say I have a very good complexion.I don't want to be vegetarian but I seem to be. How do I cook/deal with it/get vitamins etc.?
check out the cave man diet or some call it the neanderthal diet. myself, i only use meat and bones to flavor vegetables and grain products. avoid processed food like the plague.
Show me a vegetarian and I'll show you





















































































































A face full of zits!
Go to a used book store, check out the cookbooks, there are a lot of amazing ones out there. The vegetarian life can be fun and exciting (and very interesting!). You can also check out a health food store or a co-op if there are any in your area, they've usually got delicious food that comes in organic, vegetarian, wheat-free, gluten-free, etc. See what they're making and try to make it yourself! My local one has all sorts of stuff. You could also consult a dietitian or your doctor if you're worried about getting all your nutrients, etc. Dietitians also have some great recipes. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment