Tuesday, November 16, 2010

What sorts of vegetarian dishes are good to make when you are unsure if your guests eat meat or not?

Whenever I cook, I usually cook with meat and don't think twice about it, because to me, naturally everyone eats meat. (I'm rather carnivorous) However, I've noticed that there is usually at least one vegetarian or fussy meat eater at a table, and I want to give them more options besides the side dishes. The thing is I don't really know how to cook anything vegetarian except for rice and potatoes. I don't consider anything without meat in it to be a real meal, so it's hard for me to imagine what is a vegetarian meal. Mushrooms? Beans? Tofu?



I'd appreciate any tips/suggestions! What sorts of vegetarian dishes are good to make when you are unsure if your guests eat meat or not?
Cook the same as you would for the meat-eaters, but just leave out the meat and add more vegetables instead. Simple.



(i.e.)



Pasta with a nice sauce



Spaghetti bolognese - leave out the mince and increase the variety of vegetables.



Sheppards pie - leave out the mince and increase the variety of vegetables.



Vegetable lasagna, served with garlic bread and a mixed salad.



Vegetable cheese bake



Baked jacket potato topped with whatever you like (I like saut茅ed mushrooms and brussel sprouts) Mashed avocado, mushrooms and baked beans is also yummy.



Stir-fried tofu and vegetables, served with steamed rice.



Welsh Rarebit



The list is endless.



What sorts of vegetarian dishes are good to make when you are unsure if your guests eat meat or not?
beans, legumes, tofu, tempeh, etc...are all things that a vegetarian might eat to get extra fiber and protein, but instead of going out and buying and making something special, why not just make a vegetarian meal everyone will like?



try making lasagna sans meat - ridiculously easy! ask me if you want the recipe



and i am famous for my vegan chile! you can make veggie fajitas or homemade pizza or veggie wraps, etc.



hope this helps
simply legumes
Spinach lasagna with a garden salad and either some crusty bread or garlic bread. Add a nice wine to the mix and the meal transcends any vegetarian or meat eater barriers and is just one of many examples as to how vegetarian food is surprisingly mainstream.
Beans will certainly not satisfy your meaty friends.

I'd suggest Veggie or Eggplant Lasagna and cook 'regular' food for anybody else. You can also cook two lasagnas (lasagni?) putting meat in one and none in the other!

Tacos, one with meat the other with tofu.

Pizza, one with - one without!

A big salad with the above.

Most of all, don't be nervous or scared or you'll ruin the food.

Have a good time yourself and so will everybody else.

Oh, and serve big flagons of wine!



.
Pasta works as a crowd pleaser. I like to serve a spinach-ricotta stuffed shell dish. If you're feeding a crowd, double the recipe and include bite sized portions of italian sausage (or browned italian sausage) in one and no meat in the other. Or if it's for a smaller dinner party, make it in two square baking dishes rather than one 13X9, and put meat in just one. Serve with a salad and french bread.



Pizza is also easy to make either vegetarian or not.



Lasagna can go either way.



Even burgers: you can make beef burgers for some and portobello mushroom burgers for others.




Pasta and sauce with extra seasonings to replace meat flavor.



You can also have tacos. Your the base you can have a bowl of seasoned black beans and a bowl of ground beef so people can choose, chopped tomatoes,shredded cheese,sour cream,and taco sauce.
The wholesome goodness of cooked carrots with bernaise sauce is always a meatless crowd pleaser.
I agree with all the others who suggest lasagna, stuffed shelled pasta, etc. Going the cheesy, carbohydrate, Italian seasonings route tends to be very safe.



Another consideration is, how can you modify what you're already cooking (so you don't have to make two meals). My husband is not a vegetarian, but there's no way that I can make two main dishes OR that I would be happy eating only side dishes each night. What I do is make the main dish vegetarian and then he cooks his own meat separately to add. For example, I might make a stir fry of veggies and rice and then he grills his own chicken to add. Or I might make an Asian salad with cabbage, noodles, veggies, etc. and then he again adds his own chicken. If I make a casserole (like let's say a ';tuna noodle';) I mix up all the ingredients except the meat. Then, I put mine in a small baker dish. Next, whatever meat could be added I would add to the mixing bowl and mix up the other half of the casserole materials. Then, I put his half into a separate baker.



Either way, the fact that you are thinking of your guests and their dietary choices shows that you are a conscientious hostess and they will certainly appreciate that!
How about Mushroom Pizza with no meat? Or Perogies without me? or Mashed Potatos with mushroom Gravy!
baked potatoes

mashed potatoes

mushrooms could be cool

vegetarian pasta dishes, like pasta with cheese and tomato sauce
As some people say, a spinach lasagna or a squash ravioli is always an option.



However, I went to a wedding last year and knew I'd be the only vegetarian there. Still, the bride (my co-worker) ordered an eggplant parmesan. Not only was I happy, but everyone else there gobbled it up! You could do that with portobello mushrooms as well.



A vegetable and/or bean casserole could be good, too. Most meat-eaters will at least try items like these.



I'd stay away from tofu. First of all, everyone doesn't like it, and some people have soy allergies. Secondly, it isn't the easiest food to work with if you aren't used to it. Go with something more ';mainstream'; that'll work for the veggies but not scare away the meat-eaters too much.
make something like a potato casserole some crumbed mushrooms or a three bean salad. everyone can enjoy them then.

No comments:

Post a Comment