Sunday, November 14, 2010

How do you recognise good quality tempeh, tofu etc.?

I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm looking to expand upon the range of ingredients I cook with.



Whilst I can recognise the difference between good quality meat and the mass-produced rubbish, I haven't a clue how to do the same with tofu, tempeh or any other of the veg*n alternatives to meat. I don't want to write off a whole type of food because I bought a batch of poor quality stuff.



Is there a difference between good and poor quality tofu/tempeh etc, or is it pretty much all of a similar standard?



How do I tell the difference? What should I look for?



Are there any other ingredients besides tofu %26amp; tempeh I should be aware of?



Is there a way of telling whether it's past its best?



ThanksHow do you recognise good quality tempeh, tofu etc.?
Silken tofu in the aseptic package (Mori-Nu, for example) has an expiration date on it. Just use it before that and it will be fine. It doesn't have to be refrigerated until you open it.



Regular tofu, which is water-packed in tubs, is always refrigerated. Of course you want to buy it before the expiration date. When you get it home, open the package and drain off the water it is packed in. Cover with fresh water and refrigerate (put it in a bowl or pan so it doesn't drip in your fridge.) Change the water every day and it should keep for a week or more. If you don't get around to using it, it may develop a sour smell and taste. You can freshen it somewhat by putting it in a pot of water and bringing it to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes or so. You can freeze tofu, but it changes the texture completely. It becomes sponge-like and is no longer soft and smooth. The best types of coagulant for tofu are nigari and calcium chloride,



Check expiration dates on tempeh too. I like to buy it frozen and keep it frozen until I use it.



You might want to check out seitan too. It is a meat substitute that is made from gluten, the protein in wheat. It will be in tofu-like tubs, marinated in a soy sauce mixture. It can be frozen too.



My favorite brand of tofu and tempeh is White Wave, but there are many other good brands. Depending on where you live, you may have a few different choices.How do you recognise good quality tempeh, tofu etc.?
'cauldron' is a good, organic make of tofu %26amp; falafel if you're in the uk:)
Make your own http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kARjk3k3鈥?/a>
The best Tofu selection you find in Japan. I am not sure of the variations in Japanese shops in the UK, but they cannot be compared to even the Chinese. Tofu in Japan is like drinking wine in France. The best recipes also and healthy are Japanese. It is not cheap. All Japanese products are pricey but worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment