Sunday, November 14, 2010

How/what do I cook with flaxseed oil?

I'd like to start taking flaxseed oil as a vegetarian source of omega-3's and other nutrients. I have the oil, but how do I use it?



I don't care for smoothies. My regular diet consists mainly of cereal, rice, veggies, tofu and lots of salads, with occasional couscous and other pastas. I don't eat a lot of beans or lentils, but I probably should.



Do you have any flaxseed oil cooking guidelines or yummy recipes? I'd appreciate it!How/what do I cook with flaxseed oil?
As mentioned, cooking with flaxseed oil = bad, thats why most recipies use it in smoothies.



If you don't like smoothies I suggest:

- sprinkling it over your morning cereal or over yogurt

- mixing with margerine to make a omega-3 rich spread

- in dips (i.e. tofu or yogurt dips), spreads (i.e. humus)

- as a base for salad dressings



My favourite salad dressing:

Blend: 1/2 cup flaxseed oil, 1/2 cup water, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar, 1/4 tamari, 1/4 cup nutritional yeast, 2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1 tsp ground cumin.



Hope this helps :)



Btw don't forget to store your oil in the fridge!How/what do I cook with flaxseed oil?
But what about when you ingest flax seed oil and inadvertently ';cook'; it in your system? Does it go bad then?

Report Abuse


I am a former chef and now a lacto-ovo vegtarian and flaxseed oil is not meant to cooked with I am afraid, it is to volitile and it has a very low smoke point, your best to use it in salad dressings, on veggies either stir fried or steamed like sesame oil or veggie margarine.



If you cook your tofu and other farinous product is it like parmesan cheese or parsley, you add it at the end, it is more a condiment, even adding a bit to a fresh squeeze glass of juice or bottle juices, in a glass of plain or flavoured soya milk, even add it and use it on your cereals you will not taste it.



If you do decide to use it on beans and lentils, it is nice in/as a dressing for a 3 or 5 bean salad with lots of other veggies, you can make it and eat it on a pita with some salad greens or lettuce as your protein allotment, it is just a shame to ruin it by cooking with it, and it is a bit expensive to using that way, I buy a bottle here in Toronto Canada, organic only, cold pressed flaxseed oil and I pay $4.00 for a 300 ml bottle so about 12 oz US.
I love drizzling some over spaghetti and sauce. It gives it a unique taste. I also crush garlic and other spices in flaxseed oil and spread it on bread for a healthier version of garlic bread.
If you buy flax seed with DHA from algal oil, it gives your food an eerily seafood-like taste and aroma. I had it with some fettuccini and I was totally worried of what my wife had put in it to make it so seafoody.

No comments:

Post a Comment