Sunday, November 14, 2010

How can I start learning to cook with ginger?

My wife and I eat mostly vegetarian (although I warn sushi to stay out of our way if it wants to live.)

We eat lots of potatoes, rice, Eggbeaters,canned black beans, bread machine bread, mushrooms, tofu, carrots, onions, string cheese, yoghurt, string beans, celery, asparagus, spinach, peppers (hot and not), hummus, etc.

We mostly saute, or steam everything.

We are obviously not chefs, but we love the taste of ginger, and it turns out that we can grow ginger very easily in our yard.



How do we get started learning to use ginger? What goes well with it? Are there any tips in preparing it?



Thank you kindly for your thoughtful replies!How can I start learning to cook with ginger?
sliver a bit in any frying oils for stir fry and grate a bit into puree of squash and add to greens like bok choy with a bit of sugar also good to sliver on fish when steamingHow can I start learning to cook with ginger?
Well, I'm jealous. That is great that it grows well where you live. Just peel a small amount and grate it fine. It is very strong stuff. Add it to your sautes, your soups, and especially anything asian. It is wonderful over fish that is baked or broiled in sesame oil, but I rarely eat animal flesh myself. My personal favorite thing to do may not be safe to say in front of you. I love to pickle them and use them in sushi. But you do know that sushi does not have to have raw fish or salmon eggs, etc???? I like mine with only vegies and that wonderful pickled ginger and wasabi (Japanese horseradish).
Perhaps one of these sites will help:

http://www.google.com/search?client=safa鈥?/a>

Good Luck! :)
I use fresh ginger all the time cooking a lot of Indian and Chinese food. Minced garlic frequently gets sauteed with ginger in these recipes. You can throw some in marinades, slivered or chopped, anything you think it would be good in. Ginger and cilantro work well together also.

No comments:

Post a Comment