Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Protein sources for a vegetarian?

I have been trying to up my protein intake, but as a vegetarian it's a little difficult to incorporate this much protein into my diet.



I have been training for athletics a lot, and my nutritionist recommended that I get at least 100 grams of protein a day, which is twice as much as I used to get on a regular diet. (The recommended amount for that is 50 grams.)



I don't want to add too many calories to my diet, as I never have too much of an appetite, and eating too much impacts the intensity of my workouts. I try to keep under 1,500 calories, but my nutritionist wants me to up my calories to 2,500 as I have lost a lot of weight recently... We'll see how that goes.



Anyways, any tips? I heard tofu is great, but I have no idea how to cook it. I try to eat a lot of grains, and I love veggies like broccoli and spinach. I try to add uncooked peas and sprouts into my salads, but am not a huge fan of beans. I eat lentils on occasion, but mostly with soup.



Any tips for a good diet plan?Protein sources for a vegetarian?
Your nutritionist is right. If you're training, you need way more than 1500 calories.



Protein sources for vegetarians are:

-tofu

-beans

-lentils

-nuts

-gluten (seitan, tempeh)

-wheyProtein sources for a vegetarian?
You need to eat beans, nuts and soy. There is also a special K protein water out now.
NUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTS- good for u. and tofu. and soy is good to. or milk but if ur a vegan than soy. and vitamins help too
nuts have good protein in them.

Peanuts, Cashews, Almonds, Etc.
soy beans

nuts are a good source

protien shakes

peanut butter

tofu
eat beans and nuts til they fall out your ash
I thought yogurt had protein in it? I could be wrong...but I swear I heard Raja Bell(a vegetarian) say that in an interview somewhere as how he gets his protein.
Peanut butter and milk are two great sources of proteins. Eggs are good too. My daughter is vegetarian as well, but it easy to get a lot of protein.
NUTS. EAt lot's of nuts. Looks like it's going to be nut's for you 24-7 haha Soy nut's are especially high in protein, you can get them at Costco.
veggies don't have protien, they are mostly fiber and water. peanut butter is a good source. i don't know how you feel about eggs. eggs are just about perfect.
garbonzo beans - nuts-almonds-red kidney beans

black eyed peas.

tuns in a can
I think vegitarianism is very silly myself...





But there are many vitams and supliments that you can take...



Alot of beans contain protiens as well...





(Eat meat =p) but good luck
You should go with what your nurtritionist says, hun, so I would shoot for the 2500 cals. If you want high protein with lower calorie counts on a vegetarian diet, then try tofu, beans, or egg whites.
Tempeh has complete proteins. Any soy based proteins are complete. Vegetables have aminos, which when combined for a complete protein. Spinach, for example, is high in arginine. So if you eat a variety of vegetables then you get a fair amount of protein. Combining rice and beans is another way to form a complete protein from two incomplete proteins.



A great source of vegetable protein is Ezekiel bread.

I eat a lot of it and I am not a vegetarian.



If worse comes to worse then Soy protein powder is cheap and low in calories:)
It really depends on the type of vegitarian you are. If you eat seafood, you're in luck! Seafoods are not usually filling, and are packed with protien! So are soybeans! Pick at some peanuts or grab a bowl of speghti o's or cerial. idk..........
I'm the same...

for tofu you can fry it, cook it, make tofu soup(very tasty), and many more

peanut butter

beans occasionally

nuts

milk

protien shakes

also in the breakfast isle look for morning star (green box) and its all vegetarian (like fake burgers, chicken, bacon, sausage)its awesome!
http://www.wcpo.com/mediacenter/local.as鈥?/a>



http://www.trysensa.com/?action=shop.vie鈥?/a>



soy and whey is what this is, basically. so the above poster is completely correcto!!! this just makes it easier. Sprinkle, and eat whatever you wanna!~

No comments:

Post a Comment