Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How to do a Vegetarian Thanksgiving?

This year I've decided to try vegetarian dishes for thanksgiving. I won't miss the turkey as I never liked it anyway, but I've had tofu before and thought it was okay. The trouble is I can't cook to save my life, I can bake great but my mom always cooks for us. So does anyone know any great tasting recipes for a vegetarian meal that are easy to make? I don't mind ethnic food either, I just need a few good main dishes as there's not much I can think of to do with the limited ingredients. I will miss the lasagna though...How to do a Vegetarian Thanksgiving?
Some historians say turkey was not even at the first thanksgiving.



Aside from that, there are not a ton of meaty dishes anyways.



Green bean casserole

Cranberry sauce

bread/rolls

stuffing

mashed potatoes/gravy

sweet potato

cherry pie

squash casserole

fresh vegies with ranch dip



The only hard part is leaving ham out of the equation...mmm....



I guess you can always have fish and chicken..... most vegetarians i know do not consider those meat... so i consider them posers.How to do a Vegetarian Thanksgiving?
Butternut squash and green bean casserole are real classics. Personally I like yams with raisins and baby marshmallows.

Now there is nothing wrong with making something like a macaroni salad (or perhaps the veggie colored spiral noodles), perhaps with lots of fall veggies like onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, celery, cauliflower, zucchini. Add in a dressing that has some savory thanksgiving like feel to it (see below).

You sound like you will be eating with non vegetarians, that is fine, let them eat what they want. just enjoy the day and the company.



my dressing:

olive oil

orange juice (or..if you have canned mandarin oranges the syrup from that and add the slices to your salad with some toasted almonds or walnuts)

a bit of balsamic vinegar

the herbs: thyme, rosemary, sage, parsley

garlic

salt and pepper

if you like it a bit sweeter add a sprinkle of sugar and a blob of honey, takes a bit of bite out of the vinegar



whisk or shake and toss in among the salad. The colors should be bright and the herbs should sort of give it a 'stuffing' scent.



Another thing if you like it warm...sprinkle panco bread crumbs on it with a touch of butter or oil and sprinkle over the top at the last minute and stick in the oven until the crumbs are slightly brown. I've done this and slid it in beside the rolls, just to heat them up. Mine though, since, I do eat meat, I added chunks of ham and shreadded cheese. It was like cranked up stuffing.
I've been a vegetarian for 10 years and I just eat the sides.

Mashed potatoes

green bean casserole

sweet potatoes

salad

pasta salad

macaroni n cheese

rolls

All that food and there really isn't a need for anything else.
Why don't you make a vegetarian lasagna?



Make a sauce without meat.



You can still use the cheese, just slice %26amp; layer veggies with it like spinach and mushrooms and eggplant.
there is a really delicious vegetable souffle and harvest rice dish that fit the bill.. recipes are here

http://www.celebrationideasonline.com/in鈥?/a> good luck
can try www.goveg.com. thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment