Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I want to become a vegetarian but I got some questions?

I have always wanted to be a vegetarian for health reasons and before i met my husband I had given up red meat and was only eating chicken , turkey and fish. I was trying to turn slowly. But then I got pregnant and all I could crave for was stake. and I fought it for a while but eventually I gave in. And then my husband really loves meat, and is kind of time consuming and expensive to cook 2 different kind of meals. So basically I want to know how to deal with this when I really want to be a vegetarian but my husband doesn't?

And I tried tofu and I really didn't like it, so I wonder

Do you have to eat tofu if you are a vegetarian?

Or can I get the same nutrients if I eat beans and lentils?

I will really apreciate any tips and websites that you can refer me to.

Thanks!I want to become a vegetarian but I got some questions?
You don't have to eat tofu. Tofu is popular among vegetarians because it is a complete source of protein. You can combine other foods, such as rice and beans, to get all of the essential amino acids (protein) that you need. Here's a website that you can check out to see other ways to get your complete proteins: http://www.bodyforlife2.com/incompletpro鈥?/a>



Other than that, look for a vegetarian food guide pyramid (Mayo Clinic has a good one) and follow that. You need whole grains, dark leafy greens and nuts and seeds. You do NOT need to eat meat alternatives--they are a good transition food, but they are fatty and very processed.I want to become a vegetarian but I got some questions?
heres a list of things you can eat if you want to be vegitarian :)

http://www.peta2.com/STUFF/s-accvegan.as鈥?/a>
Y0U HAVE T0 MAINLY EAT T0FU, IT HAS A L0T 0F PR0TEIN, M0RE THAN BEANS AND LENTILS. JUST SEAS0N IT UP. I THINK Y0U CAN EAT GR0UND TURKEY. JUST C00K SEPERATELY 0R 0NLY EAT THE MEAT FREE STUFF.
No, you don't have to eat tofu to be a vegetarian, but try freezing the regular (not the silken), pressing it, marinading it and stir-frying it before you give up on it. I CAN'T STAND the texture of tofu that hasn't been frozen, but after you freeze it, it gets a lot more meaty. As long as you eat a good variety of things and take a multivitamin, don't worry about getting all the nutrients you need.



There are ways to make two meals without a huge fuss. Bear in mind that most seasonings and side-dishes are inherently vegetarian. Here's a few ideas. If you're grilling steaks, throw a Portabello mushroom on the grill for yourself (scoop out the gills with a spoon first). You can use Tempeh to make a fake bacon that's really good in a BLT (go to vegetariantimes.com and search for Bacon for the recipe). Textured Vegetable Protien is a dead-ringer for ground beef in sloppy joes, every almost every veggie cookbook or message board will teach you how to make Sietan (a meat substitute made from wheat gluten that can be cooked in almost every way meat can). If you can afford them, fake-meat products found in health food stores can make things even easier. My favorite brands are Gardenburger, Quorn, and Tofurky.



Another approach is to make foods that are already vegetarian. Many favorite recipes fit into this category, such as mac and cheese, garden pizza, pasta with tomato sauce. If you enjoy trying foods from other countries, look at the foods of countries where there was a strong cultural or religious reason to avoid meat, such as Japan, China, India, Italy, and Ethiopia.



Here's some of the websites you asked for:



Vegetariantimes.com (very balanced)

GoVeg.com (a little fanatical)

Veganfreaks.com (Vegan)

Postpunkkitchen.com (Vegan)

No comments:

Post a Comment